Tuesday, August 19, 2008

One way to keep leaves out of the landfill


I'm really a city girl and because of that have always loved the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair that comes through every August.

I get my fill of animal smells, Wrangler jeans, and 4H, while my kids get their fill of games, and rides.

This year we explored the outer regions of the fair where I came across a booth that had information about a county-wide compost program that seemed only too good to be true.

I realized that all those brown yard bags filled with grass, leaves, and trimmings don't just get emptied into the local landfill, or burned. They are brought to a large compost facility and transformed into products called Leafgro and Compro.

Whomever thought that one up gets a LilGreen pat on the back!
If you live in Montgomery County, Maryland, click HERE for more information and to find locations where Leafgro and Compro are sold.

Janine


No comments:

Post a Comment