Monday, July 14, 2008

Hooray for butter and margarine tubs!

OK, not your typical cry for joy, but it's the little things that make me happy.

My county NOW recycles butter and margarine tubs among other items that we all thought were recycled but really weren't.

For years just about everyone I know who recycles has thrown in all kinds of plastic items including peanut butter jars, yogurt containers, mayo jars, salad bar plastic containers, and margarine tubs...all of which were NOT accepted.

So what happens to all that stuff? Some poor soul is tasked with pulling it off the conveyor belt at our local recycling center. I only learned this when I volunteered to do a recycling contest at my children's preschool. Once I started telling people, I realized not one person actually knew that there were things that couldn't be recycled!

So while everyone thought they were doing a good deed tossing in all that plastic, in reality, they were creating much more work for someone.

Today, all that has changed. I saw not one, but several small ads promoting the fact that those items previously mentioned (and more) can be recycled.

So a little green pat on the back to to the person in Montgomery County government who recognized there's a lot more plastic coming in, and finding a way to recycle it.

If you aren't sure what your local recycling center accepts, check their website. Need help finding a recycling center or a place to take "unacceptable" items? Visit this site: earth911.org for a very cool recycling search tool!

Happy sorting,
Janine

No comments:

Post a Comment